ASHE celebrated several outstanding members for a variety of achievements in the health care facility management field at the 52nd ASHE Annual Conference.
The Crystal Eagle award was presented to Michael Kuechenmeister, FASHE, CHFM, CHC, director of plant operations at West Chester (Ohio) Hospital. Kuechenmeister has contributed to the field through his work with ASHE and the TriState Society for Healthcare Engineers. He became a nationally recognized leader in helping several southern hospitals stay open during Hurricane Katrina.
The President’s Award was presented to Walt Vernon, PE, LEED AP, FASHE, CEO of the national consulting and engineering firm Mazzetti. Vernon is deeply involved in energy conservation initiatives as well as efforts to improve codes and standards that regulate health facilities.
ASHE also recognized members who attained senior (SASHE) and fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE.
The following members are new SASHE recipients:
• Donna Craft, R.N., MHA, SASHE, Premier Inc.
• David Dierking, CHFM, SASHE, Edward Hospital
• Ralph Graham Jr., CHFM, SASHE, University of Alabama
• Gary Hamilton, PE, LEED AP, SASHE, SmithGroupJJR
• Eric Herrera, CHFM, SASHE, Memorial Hermann Hospital
• John Holderman, CHFM, CHC, SASHE, St. John Health System
• Sean Mulholland, PE, CHFM, CHC, SASHE, Penrose–St. Francis Health Services
• Hank Schuurman, CHC, SASHE, Christian Health Care Center
• Dana Swenson, PE, SASHE, UMass Memorial Health Care System
The following members are new FASHE recipients:
• Steve Cutter, HFDP, CHFM, FASHE, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
• Bert Gumeringer, CHFM, FASHE, Texas Children’s Hospital
• Richard Parker, FACHE, CHSP, FASHE, Tucson Medical Center
• Walt Vernon, PE, LEED AP, FASHE, Mazzetti
ASHE leaders also announced the following emerging regional leaders from each of ASHE’s 10 regions: Paul Cantrell Jr., CHFM; James Walsh, CHFM; David Murray, CHFM; Donald Stewart, CHFM; Jo Ellen McCarthy, CHEP; Phillip Nelson, CHFM; Casey Miranda; Carol McCormick, CHFM; Michael Cooper, CHFM; and Brett Dille.
Visit www.ashe.org for more information about ASHE award winners.
Patrick J. Andrus, CAE, is ASHE’s deputy executive director of operations.
Important monographs available from ASHE
Following are two recently released monographs that can be accessed by ASHE members as free PDFs at www.ashe.org/resourcelibrary.
• HCAHPS Scores, the Patient Experience, and the Affordable Care Act from the Facility Perspective. This new ASHE monograph explores how the health care physical environment and facility professionals can improve patient satisfaction scores.
• Risk Assessment of Medical Equipment. A key part of the Joint Commission’s environment of care management plans, risk assessments of medical equipment are covered in this new ASHE monograph. It presents a framework for facilities professionals to follow.
Design guidelines available to industry through ASHE
The 2014 editions of the Facility Guidelines Institute’s Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospitals and Outpatient Facilities and the Guidelines for Design and Construction of Residential Health, Care, and Support Facilities can be purchased at www.ASHEstore.com.