Several years ago, a credit card company touted the benefits of being a paid card holder with the slogans "it pays to be a member" and "membership has its privileges." Sound familiar?
Likewise, my 17 years as an ASHES member has paid dividends. I and my organization have benefited in the following ways:
• Access to the latest regulatory and guidance information impacting health care and environmental services;
• Access to American Hospital Association (AHA) communications, giving me a snapshot of the pressing executive issues and the opportunity to strategize how my departments can help;
• National collaboration with peers providing the most current trend and best practice information impacting patient satisfaction and care;
• Networking opportunities via the ASHES bulletin board, social networking site and Listserv, providing immediate answers to vexing challenges;
• ASHES monthly e-newsletter with the latest on infection prevention, ES operations and upcoming industry activities and events;
• Discounts on the Certified Healthcare Environmental Services Professional (CHESP) program; educational offerings delivered through a variety of learning media; publications targeting industry-specific topics, Recommended Practice documents and templates for developing procedures and programs; and registration for the annual conference;
• Regularly updated career opportunities posted on the ASHES website in addition to the ability to post resumes;
• Access to a knowledgeable and professional ASHES staff committed to advancing membership and the profession, and a volunteer board of directors composed of leaders dedicating personal time and effort to address the long-term strategic needs of the organization, members and profession;
• Committee participation allowing members to assume a variety of volunteer opportunities, providing learning, networking and leadership to specifically address the needs of members and the profession; and
• Member recognition awards recognizing innovation and leadership.
I can't help but marvel at all of what ES members receive for $115. I hope you're taking advantage of the benefits ASHES has to offer. If not, please visit www.ashes.org and click on "Join" for additional information.
Fiona Nemetz, CHESP
Director of Environmental Services, Transport, Safety and Parking
Saint Joseph’s Hospital of Atlanta
|Sidebar - ASHES insight|
Annual conferencemoved to DC area
As reported last month, the ASHES Annual Conference & Healthcare Marketplace has been relocated to the Gaylord National Harbor in Maryland (Washington, D.C., metro area) due to the tragic flooding at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, Tenn., where the event was originally scheduled.
For more information on the event, which will be held Sept. 26-30, go to ASHES' website at www.ashes.org.
ASHES offers online CHESP study group
ASHES is offering an online Certified Healthcare Environmental Services Professional (CHESP) Study Group, which will start on Nov. 8 and last six weeks. CHESP candidates or potential candidates will collaborate, interact, review material and help each other prepare for the exam. For more information, visit www.ashes.org.
Environmental services week products and gifts
Environmental services managers and their staffs can celebrate Environmental Services and Housekeeping Week on Sept. 12-18 with ASHES' exclusive collection of products and gifts. The items are available for purchase at www.jimcolemanltd.com/esweek.